Monday, September 23, 2013

Collaborative art project for older primary children

The great thing about children is that they by and large get more dextrous the older they get. So when you get a class full of 11 and 12 year olds (and mostly boys as their female classmates are all off at a choir performance) and you need to give them something to do that will keep their hands and minds occupied origami comes to mind. And given that the school's "language other than English" is Japanese, everyone was happy to go along for the ride.

And then someone showed me the work of Will and Caro:




and I knew what to do with all the butterflies we made:
I used these instructions:

6 comments:

  1. what size of paper do you start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic question, Wren! I used squares of 9cm (3.5"). Not to small for small fingers.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm very new to origami, these instructions are great but I just don't understand that last step, folded it in half but then what? If I just let go from there it opens out? Sorry if I've missed something from the photo but like I said, very new to this! Thanks!
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Miss_Rainbow. At step 8 in the instructions, above, you already have a butterfly shape. Step 9, folding it in half, simply gives more dimension to the butterfly. It will spring oven once released. This is a video of the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srroKvmL3Ek

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I've just started making origami and this butterfly was a simple yet cute one!

    ReplyDelete