Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rainy day photoblocks

Usually when Dad visits he gets to replace all the blown halogen lights in the house. This left me with a stack of these:

I'd been thinking about making some photo blocks for while, since seeing others on CraftGossip.com, but didn't want to make them out of fabric.  Nor did I want to make them from wooden blocks, as did Missie Krissie, as my youngest is a "thrower". So small square cardboard boxes were just the ticket.


If I was doing this again I would start by covering the boxes with plain paper and glue, to give a plain base to work on. As it was, I simply sized photos to fit the side of  the four boxes, then using PhotoShop, cut the photo into quarters, and "spread out" the photo on the page before printing. This was so I would have paper to wrap around corners when I was sticking it on the boxes:
Choosing photos was fun. You don't often get photos with the subject isolated; often there is another head in the photo. This can work well, and make the puzzle a bit more tricky, if there is a quarter of someone else's head in the shot too.

They came together pretty quickly, and as a final step, and to protect the print and the paper, I wrapped them in clear packaging tape.
(Left) Austin in a photo block;(right) Austin gets to grips with the photo blocks. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey :) Cute photo blocks.

    I just thought I'd let you know that I linked to your pettiskirt tutorial on a crafty blog I'm apart of...

    http://cheapcheapchickadee.blogspot.com/2010/07/pettiskirt-tutorial.html

    Thanks for posting that tute. I love how the skrit I made for my girl turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Great idea!!! Cheaper and easier. Now I need to find some boxes that size!

    ReplyDelete